Private Guided Swamp Walk Eco-Tour
A Freshwater Wetland Like No Other in the World!
You will be led by foot, at a leisure pace by our knowledgeable and experienced guide. Your tour is a private encounter with the Real Florida, that takes you into the heart of a swamp and through the surrounding habitats on Clyde and Niki Butchers’ Big Cypress property.
The swamp is a perpetually changing environment that seasonally floods and drys down. It is home to a variety of threatened and endangered orchids, ferns, and bromeliads. Your walk through this pristine ecosystem will enrich your bond with nature and allow you to better understand the unique and sometimes feared inhabitants that call this area home.
What to Wear
- Long sleeve shirt
- Long pants
- A hat
- Old tennis shoes
What to Bring
- Light rain gear
- Bug spray
- A water bottle
- Lunch or snacks
- A complete change of clothes (most likely you will get wet depending on the time of the year)
What You Might Expect During Different Seasons
- FALL (October – November) With the golden accents of Fall, our Autumn swamp is still a lush leafy encounter, water level: 18″ – 36″
- WINTER (December – February) the Cypress Needles fall and the winter birds start to arrive, water levels start to lower 0″ – 30″
- SPRING (March – June) The waters levels are lower and you may even see animal tracks. Water levels 0″- 12″
- SUMMER (July – September) You will experience lush, wet, and refreshing foliage as Cypress, Pond Apple and Pop Ash trees are in full leaf. Water levels 0″- 40″
Tours take place behind Clyde Butcher’s Big Cypress Gallery, located along the scenic Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41), 47 miles east of Naples and 36 miles west of Miami at Mile Marker 54.5, about half a mile east of the Big Cypress National Preserve Oasis Visitor Center.
The tour time you want is not available?
If you do not see availability on your selected day, please call us at 239-695-2428. Our tour times are flexible and there’s a great chance that we can accommodate your tour!